During the summer season, your HVAC system is working hard to keep your home at a comfortable temperature. If you’re looking to increase the efficiency of your unit and maintain its longevity, follow these simple tips to reduce the strain on your AC system.
- Replace the air filters. It is recommended that you change your air filters every 3 to 4 months, or more frequently if you have pets. Air filters that are clogged and dirty increase the amount of energy your HVAC system uses to cool your home.
- Adjust your thermostat. If you and your family are not home all day, every day, adjust your thermostat when you are not home. Adjusting your thermostat to a higher setting during the times of the day when you are out of the house can give your AC a break and reduce strain.
- Use fans. Setting your thermostat to a higher setting and using fans in your home can make your home feel just as cool as it does when your thermostat is set to a lower setting. Additionally, installing a solar attic fan can keep the temperature of your attic from soaring, making your AC work harder to cool your home.
- Reduce the heat in your home. Small changes in your home such as closing curtains and keeping doors and windows shut during the hottest parts of the day can help reduce the heat in your home. Additionally, activities such as cooking, showering, and running the dish washer can be done during the coolest times of the day to reduce heat.
- Improve your home insulation. Updating the insulation in your home can be very helpful to your AC, because it helps to keep the temperature in your home consistent.
- Professional maintenance. It is important to schedule routine maintenance for your HVAC system. A professional can detect any minor issues your system may have, then fix them to prevent them from becoming a larger issue and help keep your HVAC system running efficiently.
Follow these simple tips to help out your AC system during the summer season. If you need to schedule routine maintenance, call Airtech today to schedule an appointment with one of our professionals.