1. Water Filters – Louisville Water is some of the best water in the country, but many people still prefer filtered water. A good filtration system removes any chemicals or particles that may be in your water. Most refrigerators today have a filtration system built in, just make sure you change the filter as indicated. If your fridge does not have a water filter then you can get one that attaches to your kitchen sink spigot.
2. Paint – Most people paint every few years, as basic upkeep of their home. Paint gives off a chemical smell that tends to linger, which for some people can cause headaches. This chemical is known as Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs). If you or someone in your home is sensitive to VOCs then you may want to look for a paint that doesn’t contain VOCs.
3. Indoor Plants – Having green plants in the house can help to filter out airborne chemicals and other germs by purifying household toxins. Just as you learned in elementary school, plants purify toxins like carbon dioxide and release oxygen.
4. Air Quality – Dry air in your home can lead to sinus issues such as nose bleeds, dry skin, and headaches. A good solution is to have a whole house humidifier, especially during very dry seasons. You can also get an air scrubber, which removes toxins and allergens like pet hair, dust mites, mold, and other germs.
5. Bright Light – If you don’t feel you are getting enough natural light in your home then you can make some changes to brighten things up a bit. Adding light therapy boxes in your home are a great way to add some light to boost your mood. Replace dark drapes with easy to open shades or blinds. Also switch to energy-efficient LED light bulbs, they are brighter than the old incandescent, and they don’t give off as much heat.